Friday, April 26, 2013

IT'S BEEN A HARD GREY WEEK


Thames River, London Canada
Uncle Pep's Birthday card


all eyes on me...again!
 Well, it's been a hard week with all the clouds, strong winds, rolling sea and temperatures cool enough that you feel a damp chill.  The sun tries to burn through the cloud cover, but never achieves it completely.  It's one of those cooler in the house than out situations that I remember from our lake cottage days.  You can't open the balcony door due to the wind and sea foam in the air to let the warmer outside air in.  The stone walls, ceramic tile floors get quite cold and stay that way.  The opposite happens with the heat of  the sun.   I'm not complaining mind, in fact, I've been thanking God that our daughter  wasn't able to travel with us.  She would have been unable to enjoy all the sites the same; this week at least.  Using the public transport isn't very pleasant when it's like this.  And yes, we have ventured out when necessary.  Thursday evening we went to the church for bible study.  Waiting for the mini van in the wind was a bit unpleasant, but the rain had stopped. The streets are flooded with rain since there is so little grass to absorb the moisture so it all runs down to the sea or of course the storm drains in the street.  It's the same everywhere here.   I, stupidly, did not bring any closed shoes, so had to wear my flat walking sandals with a pair of socks with another pair in my pocket in case I got wet. Sandals with neon patterned ankle socks (Natalie you would love my socks) a scarf around my neck under my coat and sweater and another scarf wrapped around my head like Gina Lollobrigida riding in her convertible on the Amalfi Coast.  I looked ridiculous in my 'costume'; nothing like Gina.  LOL.  The locals assure us that this is very unusual weather for April.  Sounds familiar from back 'home'.   
So instead of going out, just to be out,  Mike reads or plays mind challenging games on the computer, and I paint between drinking litres of hot tea and making meals.   
 
Intricate pattern of the transom, the door panels, and stone columns
and arches.   MALTA PATTERNS I
 
I had to do a sketch in my journal of my experience at Scott's and have decided to do a series of small 5x5 paintings of the many beautiful patterns I see here on the island.  Repeated lines, textures, shapes and colour sends my mind to overload.  Everywhere I look I am inspired and want to capture them in some way.  The line of wooden balconies along the street (called gossip boxes), the repeated pattern in the wrought iron gates, window transoms, and carvings in the limestone.    The patterns I see along our walks here in Marsascala is the erosion on the walls of the buildings where the sea has left it's mark on the stone and paint.  Beautiful patterns of texture and colour.  Rusting metal of the large boathouse doors and very old wrought iron balconies.  These alone will keep me busy painting.  oH, and my art supplies were delivered, right to my door - a day after the arranged day! A phone call to the store and a 'sorry, the driver was ill all week didn't they call you?' in typical Maltese fasion, and a promise to deliver next day in the morning brought the needed supplies right to my door. The sheets of watercolour paper were all too large and bulky to take home on the  busy, bumpy bus ride home.  Grey weather made the unnecessary waiting all day easier to take.
 
Erroded Paint and stone pitted by the salt sea and winds.
 MALTA PATTERNS II


Next week I will begin going to Bormla to paint with Acrylics which should open up a whole new set of painting possibilities.    LOCAL TIME: 07:33



No comments:

Post a Comment